"Effective Writing for Engineers" Online Course
Engineers are natural problem-solvers and critical thinkers, which means they have the raw materials to be terrific writers. All they need is someone to show them how to apply those great problem-solving skills to the writing process. That’s where we come in.
Our seven-module technical writing online course, designed specifically for engineers, provides a variety of strategies, all based on problem-solving, they can use to make their writing more concise, precise, and readable.
This online course is SCORM 1.2-, SCORM 2004-, and AICC-compliant; each module takes roughly 30 minutes to complete.
- Voiced lectures
- A professional editor
- Hurley Write Cheat Sheets
- A copy of the Hurley Write eBook, Writing Strategies For Corporate America
- Knowledge checks
- Take-away tips
- Writing options
- Written feedback on submitted writing
- Certificate of completion
- One online video-chat session with your editor per module
Module 1: Planning the Document
- Analyzing audience purpose
- Presenting a positive image through writing
- Eliminating distractions
Module 2: Using Organization to Guide Readers
- Using appropriate organizational strategies
- Using organization to guide readers
- Organizing sentences and paragraphs for greatest effect
Module 3: Writing Readable Documents
- Being precise and concise
- Avoiding wordiness
- Avoiding language "traps"
- Making your writing more emphatic and readable
Module 4: Writing Concise, Precise Documents
- Meeting readers' needs for conciseness
- Using longer and shorter paragraphs and sentences for greatest impact
- Linking ideas
- Constructing effective paragraphs
- Using headings and subheadings
Module 5: Using Logic to Build the Argument of the Document
- Using logic in technical documents
- Gaining reader "buy-in"
- The components of logic
Module 6: Writing Engineering Reports
- Writing the body of the engineering report
- Writing the supplementary components (executive summary, Introduction)
- Using transitions to create "flow"
- Writing the Recommendations and Conclusions sections
Module 7: Developing Effective Editing and Proofreading Strategies
- Understanding the difference between editing and proofreading
- Editing for readability
- Proofreading strategies
Discounts available for multiple attendees from the same organization! Contact us for more info.