Email is the preferred method of communication for most workers. Some people spend as much as a quarter of their work day dealing with the stuff. Busy email users are especially irritated by unclear or rambling emails, which take up even more precious time.
Fortunately, you can ensure your email communications get a positive reception in a few simple steps:
- State your topic in the subject line. Doing so can help your message stand out in a packed inbox.
- Stick to one topic per email, and keep your message brief and focused. You have less than 10 seconds to capture readers’ attention, so don’t squander it.
- Clearly and concisely describe any action that you want recipients to take in response to the message. Don’t force readers to figure out what you want.
- Resist the urge to try to communicate humor or subtle emotions via email.
- Proofread each message. These are professional communications, so you don’t want them to be riddled with typos or grammatical errors. For particularly important messages, consider reading your text aloud before hitting Send.
Yes, you can learn to do this! Contact Hurley Write toll-free at 877-24-WRITE (877-249-7483) or by email for more information about our training courses.