Posted May 10, 2022
Personalized Writing Skills’ Development Pivotal to Improving Learning Outcomes
One-size-fits-all training and skills’ development is extremely common in the business world. It’s easy to assemble and disseminate such learning packages, so they’re often relatively inexpensive and straightforward to purchase and implement. Unfortunately, a one-size-fits-all approach isn’t actually as cost-effective (or learning-effective) as it might seem at first glance.
Instead, personalizing the learning experience to the audience being taught is critical to achieve the best short- and long-term outcomes for several reasons:
- Learning is easier because students immediately see how the lessons apply to their work in a concrete and tangible way.
- It’s the most time-efficient means to close skills gaps while reducing overall time needed for training, because students can put the lessons to use immediately.
- It maximizes student engagement and interest, because it covers material and subjects that are of specific interest and value to them personally.
- It improves learning retention because students are more likely to remember lessons of personal interest.
- It incentivizes both rapid learning and application of the skills because it helps the students understand how their improved writing skills benefit their own writing specifically.
- It improves the quality of interactions between students and instructors because questions and answers are more meaningful and purposeful than if discussing generic writing samples or irrelevant writing issues.
- It might even result in some process improvements as students figure out how to “operationalize” the new lessons and skills they’re mastering directly in their own work.
Personalization starts before classes begin.
For example, at Hurley Write we begin by analyzing your team’s writing samples to assess the state of your organization’s writing. First, our analysis shows us the kind of written documents your organization produces. Second, the analysis helps us uncover areas of strength and weakness. We can then plan the class around shoring up the latter while maximizing the former.
As a result, the lessons, classwork, and discussion align seamlessly with your organization’s operations and needs. For example, in one case, Hurley Write analyzed writing samples and developed a custom webinar with six modules, each dedicated to a specific aspect of writing critical to their work.
Then, once actually in session with your team, those real-life writing examples and personalized courses translate into lessons and interactive activities designed to align perfectly with the students’ needs, so everyone gets maximum benefit out of the time spent learning.
For more help, donwload our catalog of courses to learn how we can help your organization communicate more effectively.